Chittenango, NY 13037
The drydocks at Chittenango Landing, built in 1855, are where craftsman constructed and repaired the 96-foot long cargo boats that carried materials along the Erie Canal. The Erie Canal boatmen and workers of the 19th and early 20th centuries had a superstitious nature. Thieves and murderers often lurked along the Erie Canal in the 19th century. It’s no wonder many believe the victims’ spirits may still roam the towpath in search of justice. Find out about the origins of these superstitions, the language and culture of the canal folk, and some of the most popular ghost stories along the Erie Canal. Watch a video here and learn a little more about this interesting place.
Opportunities for visitors:
Pre-scheduled ghost tours are welcome in-season and professional ghost hunters are welcome year-round. The museum is also open in-season for those who wish to visit on a self-guided exploration.
Days/times of operation:
May 15-October 15th: Open daily 10am-4pm
Winter hours: Tues-Thurs. 10am-2pm Visitor Center and Archives (except holidays)
Other times by appointment (315-687-3801)
Museum Admission: $3 for children 4-12, $5 for seniors 65+, $6 for people 13-64, free under 4.
Call for pricing on private investigations.